Re: Protest Legal Action against Manifesta Curators

May I ask one or two questions without the legitimation of being born in Cyprus, without parents from Cyprus, without passing an exam in greek before I am allowed to speak/write here in this forum, in a foreign (yes, of course: colonialist, imperialist) language (english is, as you will easily realize, a foreign language for me), about something that is happening now in Cyprus?
What are you doing in this forum? Are you responsible people in the art scene, are you interested in contemporary art and critical discourse or are you just in it for some entertainment or in order to defend your greek cypriot narcissism?
There will be legal proceedings against the curators of Manifesta 6. This is an extreme escalation of censorship by a quasi-official greek cypriot institution on this beautiful island called Cyprus, in this less beautiful 'Republic' of Cyprus. Come on, greek cypriots: start thinking about these quotation marks - quotation marks that you so often use talking about the northern part of the island, start thinking about your - more quotation marks - 'democracy' and, to use a concept developped in political sciences, its political culture instead of continuing this pseudo discussion (pseudo-, as in 'pseudo state').

simon dunne wrote:

... I don't see why your parents birth place has any relevance to this discussion...

I think helene must have been referring to this comment by Yiannis G

Yiannis G. wrote:

Your last name is Black, your lived most of your life in Australia, you don't even speak greek.

Osman, indeed I did write this - I know Helene extremely well, she spent most of her life in Australia and only recently moved back to Cyprus. She barely speaks Greek and her first language is the "colonialist" English. I find it infinitely amusing that now she waxes poetic from a position of poor, colonized cypriot subject against the "arrogant" international art world elite that have come to her island to oppress it.

I also don't see why Yiannis G comment has any relevance to this discussion.

I am a an artist that is sincerly worried about this instance of censorship against the international cultural community (without greek / turkish / cypriot credentials). I don't want to get caught up in a nationalist discussion, there are larger, more important issues at hand at this point. Mainly, what is to be done?

Simon not Simon, you seem like a very sincere person indeed, even though you choose not to reveal your name... My comments are relevant as they clarify the mindset of my fellow cypriots. You were planning to come and work here, no?

is this forum still working? people are saying they cant post new postings.